Monday, April 21, 2008

A Goodbye of Sorts



A while back, Brittany had given me a picture book called, Let Me Hold You Longer. The idea of the story is that as parents, we are so focused on our children's "firsts", that we fail to notice their "lasts". Even though it was a simple picture book, it really opened my eyes and changed the way I spend my time with Tilson. I still look forward to and celebrate his firsts, but I now try to be much more present in the present.

Well, we experienced a "last" on Friday night. For the previous two nights, Tilson had taken a shower instead of a bath. We were really excited about this because he used to be petrified of the shower. On Friday night, however, he announced that he was only going to take showers from now on because baths were for babies. He also told me that he needed some privacy (which he didn't get because he would have flooded the bathroom). I know it's silly to get emotional about something so mundane as a bath, and I know there will still be times when he wants to take a bath, but I realised that we were saying goodbye to the baby and hello to the boy. The bath was really the last vestige of Tilson's babyhood, and we were closing that chapter. While that was bittersweet, I look forward to the next chapter and can't wait to see the boy he becomes.


Hello little boy.



Goodbye toddler.








2 comments:

Brittany said...

Well, you made me cry. I know, not hard to do. :)

See you Saturday!

Love ya!

Unknown said...

I'm trying to figure out how to leave a comment because I'm technically-challenged. Britt is trying to help me.

Love you guys!
Twee